After facing an unprecedented surge in COVID-19 cases, Maharashtra police introduced a new set of guidelines recently, which includes the reintroduction of the E-pass system for inter-state and inter-district travel for emergency situations.
We will walk you through the shift in these e-pass Maharashtra guidelines, how you can apply for an e-pass, and who is exempted from it.
Who can apply?
As per an update issued by the Maharashtra police, people who belong to the essential services providing category, such as government staff, doctors, nurses, food delivery, police, do not require to apply for an e-pass. They can pass the police blockades by showing their identity cards.
However, those who do not belong to the essential services providing category can apply for an e-pass under ‘extreme emergency’ situations, such as medical and health urgency, death of a family member or weddings.
Where to apply for an E-pass?
There are 2 ways in which one can apply for an e-pass:
- Those who wish to apply for epass online can log on to https://covid19.mhpolice.in/registration. A token ID will be issued, which can then be used to check the status of the e-pass online on https://covid19.mhpolice.in/status. Once the approval is received from the authorities, the e-pass can be downloaded and used.
- Those who do not have access to the Internet or wish to apply in person, can go to their nearest police station and apply for an e-pass. After approval, the e-pass will have to be collected in person from the police station itself.
The e-pass will contain the applicant’s information, such as full name, number of travellers, vehicle number and validity and a QR code. A soft or hard copy of the e-pass must be compulsorily carried during travel and presented at police blockades.
Which documents are needed?
- A negative result of RT PCR test/ Rapid Antigen test not older than 72 hours.
- Doctor’s certificate for medical emergency purposes.
- Death certificate if the passenger is travelling to conduct the final rites of a family member.
As of now, this e-pass system is valid till 1st May, 2021. However, it may get extended if the Maharashtra state government decides to extend the lockdown.