Himachal Pradesh is a land of serene beauty and natural wonder that captivates visitors with its snow-capped mountains, lush valleys, and glistening rivers. Not only does Himachal Pradesh make for a whimsical travel paradise, it is also easily accessible from Chandigarh and Delhi. Whether you seek adventure, relaxation, or cultural immersion – Himachal Pradesh is a land that will steal your heart and leave you yearning for more. So, take out your travel gear and get ready to experience the best road trip of your life, with this self-sufficient list of the top 10 things to do in Himachal Pradesh.
Top 10 things to do in Kasauli
- Visit the Christ Church: Among the most popular places to visit in Kasauli, this beautiful colonial-era church is a must-visit. The architecture is stunning, and the interior is adorned with stained glass windows.
- Trek to the Monkey Point: It’s the highest point in Kasauli, and the trek is a must-do activity. The view from the top is breathtaking, and you can spot several monkeys on the way.
- Enjoy a scenic walk at the Gilbert Trail: It’s a well-maintained trail that offers spectacular views of the valley. You can spot several exotic bird species on the way.
- Explore the Kasauli Brewery: It’s one of the oldest distilleries in the country, and you can take a guided tour to learn about the history and production process of alcohol.
- Visit the Gurkha Fort: It’s a colonial-era fort that was used as a jail during British rule. The fort offers a panoramic view of the valley and is a perfect spot for photography.
- Relax at the Sunset Point: It’s a popular spot to watch the sunset and offers stunning views of the valley.
- Explore the Baikunth Resort: It’s a luxurious resort located amidst dense forest, and you can enjoy several activities like cycling, bird watching, and nature walks.
- Visit the Kasauli Club: It’s a social club established during British rule and offers several activities like billiards, tennis, and golf.
- Attend the Kasauli Rhythm & Blues Festival: It’s a popular music festival that’s held annually in Kasauli and attracts several renowned musicians from all over the world.
- Visit the Tibetan Market: It’s a bustling market that offers several souvenirs, handicrafts, and Tibetan artifacts. You can also indulge in some local street food.
Top 10 things to do in Shimla
- Visit The Ridge: This is the heart of Shimla and offers spectacular views of the surrounding hills. It is a popular Shimla attraction for locals and tourists alike.
- Explore Mall Road: This bustling street is lined with shops, restaurants, and cafes. It is a great place to shop for souvenirs and try some local food.
- Take a Toy Train Ride: The Kalka-Shimla Railway is a UNESCO World Heritage site and offers a scenic journey through the mountains on a narrow gauge train.
- Visit the Christ Church: This iconic church is one of the oldest in North India and is known for its stunning stained glass windows.
- Trek to Jakhu Temple: This temple is dedicated to Lord Hanuman and is located on top of a hill. The trek to the temple is steep but the views from the top are worth it.
- Visit the Viceregal Lodge: This historic building was once the summer residence of the British Viceroys. It now houses the Indian Institute of Advanced Study and is open to visitors.
- Explore Shimla State Museum: This museum is located in a colonial-era building and showcases the history and culture of Himachal Pradesh.
- Go on a nature walk: There are several trails around Shimla that offer beautiful views of the surrounding hills and forests.
- Visit the Himalayan Bird Park: This park is home to a variety of bird species including pheasants, peafowl, and partridges.
- Enjoy a picnic at Chadwick Falls: This picturesque waterfall is located on the outskirts of Shimla and is a popular spot for picnics and nature walks.
Top 10 things to do in Theog
- Trek to Hatu Peak – Hatu Peak is the highest point in Theog, and the trek to the peak is a popular activity for tourists visiting the town.
- Visit the Kali Ka Tibba Temple – This ancient temple is dedicated to Goddess Kali and is a significant religious site in the region.
- Explore the Nag Devta Temple – This temple is dedicated to the serpent deity, Nag Devta, and is known for its unique architecture.
- Take a dip in Tattapani Hot Springs – These natural hot springs are located about 50 km from Theog and are known for their therapeutic properties.
- Visit the St. Mary’s Church – This beautiful church is located in Kotgarh, about 12 km from Theog, and is known for its stunning architecture.
- Enjoy a picnic at Theog town – Theog town has a beautiful picnic spot located near the Tattapani river, where you can relax and enjoy the natural surroundings.
- Experience apple picking – Theog is known for its apple orchards, and visitors can experience apple picking and taste fresh apples.
- Take a nature walk – Theog is surrounded by lush green forests and has many nature trails that offer a serene and peaceful experience.
- Attend a local festival – Theog is known for its vibrant cultural scene, and visitors can attend local festivals and events to experience the local culture.
- Enjoy a scenic drive – Theog is located on the Shimla-Kinnaur highway and offers some of the most scenic drives in the region. You can rent a car or hire a taxi and enjoy the beautiful views.
Top 10 things to do in Dharamshala
- Visit the Dalai Lama Temple: The Dalai Lama Temple, also known as Tsuglagkhang Temple, is a famous Buddhist temple and the residence of the spiritual leader, the Dalai Lama.
- Trek to Triund: Triund is a popular trekking destination in Dharamshala, known for its stunning views of the Dhauladhar range.
- Visit the Bhagsu Waterfall: Bhagsu Waterfall is a scenic waterfall located near the Bhagsunath Temple. It is a popular spot for picnics and leisurely walks.
- Explore McLeod Ganj: McLeod Ganj is a bustling town located in Dharamshala, known for its Tibetan culture, food, and handicrafts.
- Take a stroll around the Dal Lake: The Dal Lake is a serene lake located in the midst of dense forests. It is a popular spot for boating and picnics.
- Visit the Kangra Fort: The Kangra Fort is an ancient fort located near Dharamshala. It is a significant historical site and offers stunning views of the surrounding mountains.
- Attend a Tibetan cooking class: Dharamshala is famous for its Tibetan cuisine, and there are several cooking classes where you can learn to make momos, thukpa, and other traditional dishes.
- Go for a nature walk: Dharamshala is surrounded by lush green forests and has several nature trails that are perfect for a leisurely walk.
- Learn meditation and yoga: Dharamshala is a spiritual destination and has several centers where you can learn meditation and yoga.
- Shop for souvenirs: Dharamshala is famous for its handicrafts, jewelry, and Tibetan artifacts. There are several markets and shops where you can buy souvenirs to take back home.
Top 10 things to do in Dalhousie
- Visit Khajjiar: Known as the “Mini Switzerland of India”, this picturesque hill station is among the best places to visit in Dalhousie for nature lovers.
- Trekking: There are several trails in Dalhousie that offer breathtaking views of the surrounding hills and valleys. Some popular treks are Dainkund Peak, Bakrota Hills, and Ganji Pahari.
- Chamera Lake: A beautiful man-made lake surrounded by lush green mountains, Chamera Lake is a great place to relax and enjoy the serene beauty of nature.
- Shopping: The Tibetan market in Dalhousie is a popular shopping destination for tourists. You can find a variety of handicrafts, woolen clothes, and souvenirs here.
- Satdhara Falls: A series of seven waterfalls, Satdhara Falls is a popular tourist spot in Dalhousie. The falls are surrounded by lush greenery and offer a serene and tranquil atmosphere.
- Kalatop Wildlife Sanctuary: Home to several species of flora and fauna, Kalatop Wildlife Sanctuary is a must-visit for wildlife enthusiasts.
- Rock Climbing: Dalhousie offers several rock climbing opportunities for adventure seekers. There are several operators who organize rock climbing expeditions in the region.
- St. John’s Church: This colonial-era church is one of the oldest buildings in Dalhousie and is known for its beautiful stained-glass windows and serene atmosphere.
- Panchpula: A scenic spot located on the outskirts of Dalhousie, Panchpula is known for its waterfalls and natural beauty.
- Visit Subhash Baoli: Named after Subhash Chandra Bose, this serene spot is known for its tranquil atmosphere and beautiful views of the surrounding hills.
Top 10 things to do in Manali
- Rohtang Pass: This high-altitude pass offers stunning views of the surrounding Himalayas and is a popular spot for adventure activities like skiing and snowboarding.
- Solang Valley: This picturesque valley is known for its adventure sports like paragliding, zorbing, and skiing.
- Hadimba Temple: This ancient temple is dedicated to Hadimba, the wife of the Pandava prince Bhima. It is located in a beautiful forested area and features intricate carvings.
- Manu Temple: This temple is dedicated to the sage Manu, who is believed to be the creator of the world according to Hindu mythology.
- Vashisht Temple and Hot Springs: This temple is dedicated to the sage Vashisht and is known for its hot springs that are said to have healing properties.
- Old Manali: This charming area of Manali is known for its narrow streets, old buildings, and traditional architecture.
- Beas Kund Trek: This trek takes you to the source of the Beas River and offers stunning views of the surrounding mountains.
- Tibetan Monasteries: Manali is home to several Tibetan monasteries, each with its own unique architecture and cultural significance.
- River Rafting: The Beas River offers excellent opportunities for white-water rafting, with rapids ranging from Class I to Class IV.
- Shopping: Manali is known for its vibrant markets, where you can find everything from traditional handicrafts to modern clothing and accessories.
Top 10 things to do in Mashobra
- Visit the Mahasu Peak: This is the highest point in Mashobra and offers stunning views of the surrounding mountains. You can hike to the top or take a pony ride.
- Explore the Reserve Forest Sanctuary: This is a protected forest area where you can spot a variety of wildlife such as the Himalayan black bear, barking deer, and leopard.
- Go camping: Mashobra is an excellent location for camping. There are many campsites available, and you can enjoy bonfires, stargazing, and nature walks.
- Visit the Tattapani hot springs: Tattapani is a nearby village that is famous for its hot springs. The water is believed to have medicinal properties, and you can take a dip and relax in the natural pools.
- Take a nature walk: Mashobra has many trails that offer scenic views of the surrounding forests and mountains. You can take a leisurely walk or go on a more challenging hike.
- Visit the Craignano Nature Park: This is a beautiful park located in Mashobra that has a variety of trees, plants, and flowers. You can also enjoy a picnic or a game of frisbee.
- Explore the Shimla Heritage Walk: Mashobra is located near Shimla, which is a popular tourist destination. You can take a heritage walk and explore the colonial architecture of the town.
- Visit the Naldehra Golf Course: This is a beautiful golf course located in Naldehra, which is close to Mashobra. You can enjoy a round of golf and the stunning views of the surrounding mountains.
- Visit the Chadwick Falls: Chadwick Falls is a beautiful waterfall located near Mashobra. You can take a short hike to the falls and enjoy a picnic or a swim.
- Visit the Jakhu Temple: This is a famous temple located in Shimla, which is a short distance from Mashobra. You can take a cable car ride to the temple and enjoy the panoramic views of the surrounding mountains.
Top 10 things to do in Chail
- Visit the Chail Palace: The Chail Palace is a beautiful heritage property built in the 19th century by the Maharaja of Patiala. It is now a luxury hotel and is open for visitors to explore the architecture and the beautiful gardens surrounding the palace.
- Trek to Kali ka Tibba: Kali ka Tibba is a small temple located on a hilltop, offering stunning views of the surrounding valleys and mountains. The trek to the temple is an easy one and can be done in a couple of hours.
- Enjoy the views from Chail Cricket Ground: Chail Cricket Ground is the highest cricket ground in the world, situated at an altitude of 2,444 meters. The ground offers breathtaking views of the surrounding mountains and valleys.
- Explore the Chail Wildlife Sanctuary: Chail Wildlife Sanctuary is home to a variety of flora and fauna, including Himalayan black bears, leopards, and barking deer. Visitors can go on jungle walks and spot some of these animals in their natural habitat.
- Visit the Siddh Baba Temple: The Siddh Baba Temple is a beautiful temple located in the heart of Chail. The temple is dedicated to a saint who is believed to have meditated at this spot for many years.
- Go camping in Chail: Chail offers some of the best camping sites in the region. Visitors can enjoy the peace and serenity of the mountains and starry nights by camping in one of the many beautiful locations in Chail.
- Visit the Chail Military School: The Chail Military School is a renowned institution that has produced some of the finest officers in the Indian Army. Visitors can explore the campus and learn about the history and culture of the Indian Army.
- Go on a nature walk: Chail is surrounded by beautiful forests and valleys, making it an ideal location for a nature walk. Visitors can explore the natural beauty of the region and enjoy the fresh mountain air.
- Experience local cuisine: Chail offers a variety of local delicacies that visitors must try. Some of the popular dishes include Dhaam, Madra, and Chha Gosht.
- Go on a day trip to Shimla: Shimla, the capital city of Himachal Pradesh, is located just 45 km away from Chail. Visitors can go on a day trip to Shimla and explore the colonial architecture, local markets, and scenic beauty of the city.
Top 10 things to do in Solan
- Visit the Shoolini Mata Temple: This ancient temple is a popular pilgrimage site for both locals and tourists. The temple is situated on a hilltop, and the view from the top is breathtaking.
- Explore the Mohan Shakti Heritage Park: This park is a must-visit attraction in Solan’s places to visit. It is a cultural park that showcases the traditional architecture and customs of the Himalayan region.
- Trek to Karol Tibba: Karol Tibba is a popular trekking destination near Solan. The trek offers stunning views of the Himalayan ranges and is a great way to get in touch with nature.
- Take a tour of the Solan Brewery: The Solan Brewery is one of the oldest breweries in India. Take a tour of the brewery to learn about the history of beer-making in India and sample some of the local brews.
- Visit the Solan Valley: The Solan Valley is a beautiful destination that offers scenic views of the Himalayan ranges. Take a leisurely walk or hike through the valley to explore its natural beauty.
- Go on a shopping spree: Solan is famous for its handicrafts, shawls, and woolen clothing. Visit the local markets to buy some souvenirs to take back home.
- Enjoy a picnic at the Mohan Park: The Mohan Park is a popular picnic spot in Solan. The park is surrounded by lush greenery and offers stunning views of the mountains.
- Visit the Bon Monastery: The Bon Monastery is a Tibetan monastery that is situated near Solan. It is a peaceful and serene place that is perfect for meditation and relaxation.
- Take a dip in the Mohan Meakin Heritage Pool: The Mohan Meakin Heritage Pool is a natural spring that is known for its therapeutic properties. Take a dip in the pool to rejuvenate your body and mind.
- Attend a cultural festival: Solan is known for its vibrant cultural festivals. Attend one of the festivals to experience the local culture and traditions.
Top 10 things to do in Palampur
- Visit the Tea Gardens: Palampur is famous for its tea gardens and among the most famous places to visit in Kangra. You can take a guided tour and learn about the tea-making process while enjoying the serene beauty of the surroundings.
- Baijnath Temple: Baijnath Temple is a popular religious site dedicated to Lord Shiva. The temple is known for its intricate carvings and beautiful architecture.
- Paragliding: Palampur is a great place to indulge in some adventure sports, and paragliding is a popular activity here. You can soar high above the mountains and enjoy breathtaking views of the surrounding landscape.
- Trekking: Palampur is surrounded by beautiful mountains and is a great place for trekking enthusiasts. You can choose from a range of treks, depending on your fitness level and experience.
- Visit the Neugal Khad: Neugal Khad is a beautiful stream that flows through the town of Palampur. You can enjoy a picnic by the river or take a leisurely stroll along its banks.
- Andretta Pottery: Andretta Pottery is a unique attraction in Palampur where you can learn about the art of pottery. You can take a workshop and make your own pottery while enjoying the beautiful surroundings.
- Saurabh Van Vihar: Saurabh Van Vihar is a beautiful park located on the outskirts of Palampur. The park is named after Saurabh Kalia, a brave soldier who was martyred during the Kargil War.
- Visit the Tashi Jong Monastery: Tashi Jong Monastery is a beautiful Buddhist monastery located near Palampur. The monastery is known for its beautiful architecture and peaceful surroundings.
- Bir Billing: Bir Billing is a popular destination near Palampur, known for its paragliding activities. You can also indulge in some camping and trekking activities here.
- Visit the Palampur Bazaar: Palampur Bazaar is a bustling marketplace where you can shop for local handicrafts, spices, and other souvenirs. You can also sample some local cuisine at the street food stalls.
With its rich culture and heritage, Himachal Pradesh is also a haven for history buffs, boasting magnificent temples, palaces, and monasteries that offer glimpses into its past. This northern Indian state is a true paradise for adventure enthusiasts, offering activities such as trekking, skiing, paragliding, and white-water rafting. The state’s delicious cuisine, vibrant festivals, and warm hospitality make it a destination that leaves a lasting impression on all who visit.